Sunday, October 13, 2024

Gratifying Redemption

“You’ve been through faith, not your own doing, but by God’s grace." ~ Ephesians 2:8

The guilt still haunted him. He’d easily forgiven himself for other selfish, foolish decisions, but for some reason, he couldn’t forget the ethics exam nearly two decades ago.

As the corporate VP of Talent Development, Bryson found it increasingly hypocritical to speak of the importance of business integrity given his youthful indiscretion. Today he’d make amends.

Standing before a dated nameplate, dim light from under the door suggested his old professor might still be employed. Byson tapped gently and a voice inside called, “Come in.”

Dr. Velma Lewis’ silver-streaked hair left no doubt that she was a serious philosopher. She’d earned a reputation as a brilliant, yet selectively approachable professor.

“I have a confession to unburden today,” he began. “In your Business Ethics class eighteen years ago, I cheated on the final exam. I paid someone for the correct answers,” he mumbled, relieved and exhausted after his admission.

The septuagenarian furrowed her brow as the nervous executive waited for a response. This scene had played out before her dozens of times before, each penitent seeking a pardon to erase whatever emotional burden they carried.

Unfortunately for him, Bryson had caught her in one of her feistier moods.

“As I recalled Mr. Pfeifer, that was a large class,” she said staring quizzically over her bifocals. “That means you gained an unfair advantage over a hundred or so classmates. Can I assume you came here to make things right?”

He nodded, still wondering how she remembered him at all.

“I think the best solution would be to help 100 other students with their education. Provide them with an advantage to make up for the advantage you stole,” the shrewd educator offered.

“Now if there’s nothing else, I have a lecture,” she said abruptly. Then added, “Remember, actions speak louder than words.”

For weeks, he tried suppressing Lewis’ ridiculous assignment. But when his guilt couldn’t be extinguished, he swallowed his pride and decided to meet with the high school principal in one of the city’s poorest neighborhoods.

“How can I help, what are your biggest problems?” he asked. “I want to make a difference.”

The principal’s tired eyes narrowed on a printed list taped to the wall near her desk. “Those are the kids who keep me up at night - the dropouts. If you want to make a difference, get those kids back. If they don’t graduate high school, their lives will turn out a mess.”

Five years and one hundred successes later, Bryson presented Dr. Lewis with a large folder. It contained 100 pictures and a story about each student who dropped out of school and then returned and graduated.

“It’s okay,” he grinned. “You don’t have to say anything. Reactions speak louder than words too. Funny how that works.”

Heavenly Father, help me make amends for those I’ve hurt in my foolish and sinful past. Help me to love and grace those I’ve harmed as You have done for me. Help me live humbly, honestly, and tenderly with others. Amen