Thursday, September 22, 2011

The Barber's Poll

“I speak of things I don’t fully understand, things too wonderful for me to know” -- Job 42:3
I loved going to the barbershop with my Dad.  It was a ‘guy’ thing.  Past the red and white striped pole, it was like entering an outlaw’s clubhouse – a place where old men gathered to talk about sports, politics, women and stuff that must have been better in the “Good Ol’ Days.”
I marveled at Tony, in his French cuffs and satin vest, as the barber slapped his razor across the leather belt, honing the blade to an exact sharpness before each shave.
When Tony called Dad’s name, it was like summoning him to the altar of a high priest – an enormous throne with enough chrome embellishments to make a ’58 Buick green with envy.  And when he placed the drape around your shoulders, you felt like you were wearing the vestments of some powerful king.

Then Tony went to work, as skilled as any fine craftsman.  The conversation began as his hands worked with deft precision. 
“I don't believe that God exists!" Tony commented noting the cross around Dad’s neck.  To this day, I don’t know if Tony really believed that, or if he was just trying to elicit a reaction from Dad.  Everyone in this small town knew we attended church regularly.
Pokerfaced, Dad asked, “Why do you say that?"
Tony asserted, "Well, if God exists, why are there so many sick people?  Would a caring God allow children to go hungry or abandoned?”  He persisted, a bit ‘preachy’ now, “If God existed, there wouldn’t be suffering or pain; a loving God wouldn’t allow these terrible things."
Dad thought for a moment, not really wanting to provoke an argument with a guy holding a sharp instrument to his neck.  “Maybe the better question,” he suggested was, “Why do we do bad things to each other?”
That seemed to silence the barber.  Tony finished, we paid and left the shop.  Once out on the street, we spotted an unkempt man with long, filthy hair and a shapeless beard.  Dad turned on his heels and returned to the barbershop: "Tony, I just realized - Barbers don’t exist."
"What?” snapped Tony, a surprised look on his face. "I’m here and I’m obviously a barber!"
"No!" Dad explained.  "Barbers don't exist!  If they did, there wouldn’t be people with dirty long hair and mangy beards . . . like that man outside."
"Ah, but barbers DO exist!” Tony replied smugly. “That's what happens when people stay away from me."
"Exactly!" Dad said triumphantly. "God EXISTS, too!  That's what happens when people don’t seek Him for help.  Some of God's greatest gifts are unanswered prayers.
“Dear child, I’ve been present in your life from the second you were born. I’ve never left you alone one single time, you have to believe Me.  I let you experience heartbreak and frustration in order to build the wonderful character you possess today.” - God