Monday, October 10, 2011

Deer Friends

“Give thanks in all circumstances; this is God’s wish.” – I Thessalonians 5:18
Mike was their ‘unofficial leader’ in the small factory where he, Peter and Art worked.  He was a ‘jokester’ - always playing silly pranks.  Peter adored Mike – always following his lead.  Then there was Art – quiet and aloof.
Art wore the same clothes for work every day.  He never joined in the games they played at lunch (cards, horseshoes, etc.).  He seemed indifferent, always sitting quietly alone under a tree instead.   As such, Art was a natural target for practical jokes.  He might find a live frog in his tool box, or a dead mouse in his locker. But he always took it in good humor.

One autumn, Mike and Peter took off a few days to go deer hunting.  They promised to share any meat they killed.
The factory buzzed with anticipation when they learned Mike shot a huge buck.  As promised, Mike processed the deer and made nice packages for each of them.  For a joke, he saved the ears, tail, and hoofs for Art.
Meat packages were presented at the next lunch break.  Mike saved Art’s, the largest of all, for last.  Peter could hardly contain his laughter.  Mike smugly pushed Art’s gift over to where he could reach it.  They waited.
Art rarely spoke.  So they were astounded when he rose to his feet and smiled broadly.  Eyes moist with emotion, he collected himself before speaking.
“I knew you wouldn't forget me,” he said gratefully, “You're big and playful, but I knew you had a good heart.”
He swallowed hard, choking back tears.  “You must think I’m rude ignoring you.  Truthfully, I've got nine kids and a bedridden wife.  Sometimes when she's real bad off, I sit up all night to take care of her.  Don’t feel much like ruining your days with my sad story.”
“I eat by myself ‘cause I’m a little ashamed - I don't always have anything between my sandwich.   That’s why this meat means so much to me . . . maybe more than to anybody else.”  Wiping tears from his cheeks with the back of his hand he continued, “Tonight my kids will eat like royalty for a change.”
He gripped his package, before Mike or Peter could snatch it away from him.  Art broke the wrapper and stared at its contents.  He examined each hoof, each ear, and then he held up the tail.  It wiggled limply; which ordinarily would have been funny.  Nobody laughed.
Things got much worse when Art looked up and said 'Thank you,' trying to smile.  One by one each man stepped forward, and placed his package in front of Art.  Suddenly they realized how little their own gift had really meant to them, until now.
Jesus – help me be grateful in ALL circumstances – good and bad, happy and sad.  Hear the song in my heart about the many blessing You bestow on me and help me remind others too.  Amen.