Friday, October 7, 2011

A Forever Kind of Love

"The Lord Said, I have loved you with an everlasting love!” – Jeremiah 31:3
Sarah and Cameron were in love.  Not the purely physical or romantic type of love, but the “do-whatever-it- takes-to-make-you-happy” kind of love - unconditionally. 
There was one problem: Cam was a soldier and being stationed overseas.  The night before his departure, they decided to dine at Fishbone’s – the site of their very first date.  Following a delicious meal, the waiter brought a cake that read WILL YOU MARRY ME?  A beautiful engagement ring adorned the top of the cake.   A dozen roses completed the proposal.

It was perfect; so sweet.  Sarah managed an exuberant “Yes!” through a flood of emotional tears.  They promised to marry when he returned from his foreign mission.

Tragedy struck just days after he departed.  Sarah’s Prius met a drunk driver’s SUV head-on.  She awoke in the hospital days later to crying parents.  She knew immediately that something was seriously wrong.  She’d learn soon enough that her once lovely face was now horribly disfigured.  The face that stared back at her in the mirror drew shock and horror.  “I’m repulsive,” she sobbed. “He’ll never want me now!”
Consumed by fear and desperation, she decided to liberate her fiancĂ© from their promise.  She’d try and forget about him and vowed never to see him again.
Cam continued writing adoring love letters, but received no response.  He phoned her many times but she never returned his calls.  What to do?
His military service complete, he returned home - no fanfare, no hero’s welcome.  Time to move on with his life, he reasoned. 
Sarah learned of his return.  Oh the dreams they had imagined, now shattered - gone forever.  Time to move on with her life.  A hostage to her own isolation, she barely noticed her Mom had entered the room.  Lacking expression, Mom handed Sarah a wedding invitation.  “He’s getting married,” she said delicately.
The girl’s heart sank.  Of course she still loved him.  Forgetting Cam had proven impossible.  With great sadness, she opened the wedding announcement . . . and she saw her own name on it! 
As if on cue, Cameron entered her room with a bouquet of flowers.  He knelt beside her and asked, “Will you marry me?”
She immediately covered her face and replied, “I’m so ugly, you couldn’t  . . .” 
He interrupted, “Without permission, your Mom sent me your photos.  Nothing has changed my dear Sarah!  You’re still the person I fell in love with.  You’re still as beautiful as ever, because I love you!”
They married . . . for always - the way God inspired us, the way God intended; not dependent on what we say, do or look like . . . just because!
Loving God, You mean that You love me in any condition I find myself in?”  Why is it so hard for me to grasp the term unconditional love?  Probably because I have such a hard time loving myself that way.  Help me please, Amen.