Thursday, October 20, 2011

Trust and Obey

“We owe it all to Christ, who loves us completely.” – Romans 8:37
Thomas watched from his bedroom window.  Envy tugged at him like a new puppy; he wanted to be outside playing in the snow with his friends.  But he remembered Dad telling him to stay inside today. 
He promised Dad that he’d catch up on some reading.  Now he had second thoughts.  It was beautiful outside; the sun was shining so brilliantly.  Why was Dad keeping him from joining the fun?
When he couldn’t stand it any longer, he put down his book and snuck outside.  Euphoria quickly turned to a suffocating discomfort; worry that Dad would ‘catch’ him.
He jumped on his sled for one last ride down the steep hill.  His face hit the metal frame and he could feel warm blood trickle from his cold chin.  
“Ouch!  What would Dad think?” he brooded.  The scar would forever mark his disobedience. 

For the rest of the afternoon, he agonized in his bedroom.  His face hurt from the bruise on his chin.  But his heart ached most of all!  He had messed up before, but this time he’d gone too far!  Dad wouldn’t love him anymore!  They had always been close; they played catch, the watched movies, they ate pizza together.  But no more; all those wonderful times were over.
Robert’s older brother poked his head into Robert’s room and immediately noticed the blood-stained pillow.  “Looks like you took a tumble, Buddy?” 
“But that’s not the worst of it!  I disobeyed Dad by going outside today,” he sobbed. 
 “That sucks!” his older brother counseled firmly but gently, “But don’t make it worse by sitting here.  Go tell Dad everything.”
Trembling with fear, Robert headed toward the living room, pausing in the doorway.  Dad looked up from his favorite chair.  
“Robert, come here,” Dad motioned with loving arms outstretched.
Robert started to cry. “I love you Daddy, but I’ve been very bad and . . .” Robert pointed to his chin.
“I know, son - more than you think.  I watched you go outside.  I watched you bump your chin.”
“You did?” Robert questioned. “But - weren’t you at work?”
Dad shook his head. “I took the day off to spend some time with you.  That’s why I told you not to go outside to play.  Ever since you hurt yourself, I’ve been waiting for you to come to me so we could talk.”
“But, Daddy, how can you still love me?” Robert begged.
The smile on Dad’s face widened.  “Son, I loved you before you were born.  I will always love you – no matter what.  And God loves us too, even when we make mistakes.  But when we do, He expects us to be sorry, admit we did wrong, and ask for forgiveness.
Majesty, we are like broken mirrors, meant to reflect Your image but we fail a little each day. Thank you for loving me despite my imperfections.  Please help and forgive me again. Amen.