Saturday, December 24, 2011

Love Given . . .

“It is more blessed to give than to receive.” - - Acts 10:35
Cody paced in his backyard for nearly an hour, getting colder by the minute.  His tissue-thin sneakers couldn’t keep the cold from his toes.  He wouldn’t wear boots even if his Mom could afford them.  Too nerdy!
He had no ideas about what to get his Mom for Christmas.  Discouraged, he thought to himself, "I’m so stupid, even if I had a great idea; I’ve no money to buy it anyway!"  Ever since his Dad passed away, the family struggled.  His two older sisters had already made beautiful gifts for Mom.  But on Christmas Eve, Cody still had nothing; not even a clue. 
He kicked the snow in frustration and headed towards downtown.  It wasn’t fair living without a father; especially when he needed a man’s opinion.

He walked from shop to shop, gazing into each decorated window.  So elegant – yet so beyond his means.  As he tearfully started towards home, a shiny quarter lay directly in his path.   He picked it up – never had he felt so lucky.  But his excitement quickly faded as he realized there was nothing he could buy for a quarter.
The last store before home sold flowers.  He offered his single coin and asked if he could buy just one flower for his mother.  The shop owner stared kindly at the small boy. “Wait here.  Let’s see what I’ve got."
As Cody waited, he understood why mothers liked flowers.  They’re full of color, delightfully fragrant and the ultimate sign of appreciation.
Suddenly the shop owner returned with twelve stunning, long stem, red roses.  Bobby's heart soared as the owner picked them up and placed them gently into a snow white box.
“I happened to have roses on sale tonight for twenty-five cents a dozen!  Would you like them?" he asked.
Cody didn’t hesitate.  When the shopkeeper placed the box into his hands, he knew this must have been a miracle.  "Merry Christmas, son!" the pleasant man said as Cody left his shop.
The owner’s wife entered the showroom.  “Honey, who were you talking to?”
Staring pensively out the window, he replied, "In my morning prayers today, I heard a gentle voice urging me to set aside my best roses for a very special gift.  Just a few minutes ago, a poor lad with only a quarter came in wanting to buy a flower for his mother.
"He reminded me of my past.  I too, had nothing to buy Mom a Christmas present.  A complete stranger handed me $10 and told me to “pay it forward someday.”  I heard that same stranger’s voice today!”
They hugged each other tightly, and as they stepped outside, they barely noticed the chilly winter night.  Love given . . . is the only love kept.
Father, we know we can’t out give You.  Keep reminding us that in giving we receive; that I have nothing without You.  Let me give with an attitude of appreciation and worship.  Amen