Friday, December 2, 2011

Those Who Teach, Can . . .

[Teachers] “Each of you has been blessed with unique gifts, use them well.” - - 1 Peter 4:10
Mike dreaded tonight’s cocktail reception.  In grand fashion, his wife Gwen would accept a partnership in a prestigious Boston Law firm.  He was so proud of her and how hard she has worked to become part of this “elite club.”   
But the reception would be thorny.  They were all such snobs; so dismissive, so overbearing.  The other Partners were famously rich, enjoying seven-figure incomes previously reserved for rock stars and pro athletes.  He had nothing against rich people; he too enjoyed the finer things in life.  But these people enjoyed making him feel inferior; showing disdain for his chosen profession.  What narrow minded hypocrites!
Cocktails aplenty, the ‘Masters of the Universe’ [or so they thought of themselves] proceeded to espouse their overly simplistic solutions to the country’s social problems.  Drunk now, the firm’s Senior Partner, blubbers on about the problems with education.  He argued, "Those who can – teach, those who can’t . . . teach teachers!  What's a kid going to learn from someone who decided his best option in life was to become a teacher?"

To stress his point, Sterling asks rudely; "You're a teacher, Mike.  Be honest. What do you make?"
Mike paused before responding.  His remarks were polite yet frank. 
"Well, I make kids work harder than they ever thought they could.  I make a C+ feel like the Congressional Medal of Honor winner.  I make kids sit through 40 minutes of class time when their parents can't make them sit for 5 minutes without an IPod, Game Cube or movie rental.”
“You want to know what I make?  (He paused again and looked at each and every person in the room)  I make kids wonder.  I make them question.  I make them apologize and mean it.  I make them have respect and take responsibility for their actions.”
”I teach them how to write and then I make them write.  I make them do math problems with their God given brains, not the man-made calculator.  I make them learn from history’s mistakes.”
“I make my foreign students learn English while preserving their cultural identities.  I make my classroom a place where all my students feel safe.” 
“Finally, I make them understand that if they use the gifts they were given, work hard, and follow their hearts, they can succeed in life!”
(Mike paused one last time and then continued.)  “To me money isn’t everything!  When people try to judge me by what I make, I hold my head high, paying no attention to their ignorance, because I MAKE A DIFFERENCE!”  I prepare kids to be CEOs, and doctors and even lawyers.  What do you make sir?
Sterling was speechless for the first time that night.
God our Father, thank you for all teachers - who share their wisdom and experience with gentle patience and seek always to bring the truth to eager minds.  Grant that they may follow Your  way, truth, and life, forever and ever.  Amen.