Sunday, December 11, 2011

Melvin's Mission

"Let hope make you glad.  Be patient in time of trouble and never stop praying.” - - Romans 12:12
Bruce hated Black Friday - the year’s busiest shopping day.  If he could, he’d sleep until December 26th.   What was once a peaceful, cheery holiday is now laced with anxiety and fatigue. 
Alone, sipping coffee at a table by the window, he watched an elderly man making his way carefully down the sidewalk, balancing several brooms on his shoulder.  His light blue jacket covered a plaid flannel shirt and corduroy pants.  Thick glasses covered his eyes like a shield.  
“That’s Melvin,” whispered the affable waitress.  “He’s walked these streets for years, selling brooms to put his children through college.  In his seventies and nearly blind - I don’t know how he does it.”
Melvin ducked through the doorway into the restaurant as customers cleared the way for him.  He sold a few brooms as he moved quietly among the tables.  Bruce bought one too and invited the old man to sit for a while.  “Melvin,” he said, “I’ve a hunch that your story's very interesting.  It’d be my pleasure to share a hot meal with you.” 
Melvin took a seat and began talking.  “Mine’s a short story really.  Mom died when I was born; I never knew my Daddy.  Granma raised me - she’s one of two amazing women in my life.  The other’s my wife of 47 years.  I owe everything I am and have to Jesus.”
When the waitress brought their breakfast, Bruce asked about Melvin’s eyesight.  “I can see a little,” he replied, “but my wife, Dorothy, was born totally blind.  We raised five children.   The Lord always gave us work.  Before retiring, she taught music to disabled kids.  At 72, God helps me do what I do.”  Melvin warmed his hands around his coffee cup before continuing.  “I decided when I was very young that life’s about helping others.  I love God . . . and I love His people.”
This dear man could hardly see, Bruce thought as he buttered a biscuit.  Selling brooms couldn’t be very profitable.  “So how do you help people?” he asked bluntly.
Melvin sat up proudly.  “Every morning, I pray that God will send somebody who needs my help.  Then I wait.  These brooms are my lifeline to people.  Even a smile or a few kind words comfort folks in these hard times.  God never fails to send me people I can help.”
This guy had it all figured out, not fretful or anxious like the rest of us!  He navigates the crowds and the weather every day without complaint.  There was so much he could have complained about.  Instead, he chose the path of gratitude and service.  
As they hugged and parted ways that November morning, Bruce knew his holidays would be forever changed by this divine messenger.  Once again, God had sent Melvin somebody to help! 

Lord, when I can’t truly help, please help me reach for You.  Lend me Your strength so that I can see that the many other things that I can do to bring comfort to someone in need.  Amen