Monday, August 27, 2012

So You've Had a Bad Day


“The Lord can always be trusted to show mercy each morning.” ~ Lamentations 3:23
So you think you’re having a bad day?
Fire inspectors in California recently discovered a corpse in a burned-out section of forest while evaluating the damage done by a forest fire.  The scent of burnt human remains was unmistakable.  When a body burns, the iron-rich blood gives off a coppery, metallic odor.  Internal organs rarely burn completely because of their high fluid content.  They smell like burnt liver.
Rescue workers experience this all too often.  But this corpse was different.  He was dressed in a full wet suit, complete with scuba tank, fins and face mask.
An autopsy confirmed that the diver expired not from burns, but from massive internal injuries.  After dental records confirmed his identity, investigators tried to determine how a fully-suited diver ended up in the middle of a forest fire.
Later they would learn that on the day of the fire, the man went diving off the coast, miles from the forest.  Firefighters called in a fleet of helicopters that dipped water from the ocean and emptied it on the raging forest fire.
You guessed it!  One minute the diver was exploring pristine Pacific coral, the next, he was doing the breast stroke in a fire dip bucket 300 feet aloft.  Some days it just doesn't pay to get out of bed.
Trials are a fact of the Christian life.  For me, some days begin terribly - my mood can turn sour before my feet even hit the floor.  I’m tempted to share my mood with everyone; I can be very generous with a foul mood.  And inevitably, things begin to snowball and my day feels ruined.
But our reactions reveal something about our maturity.  Fortunately, my God sees me for who I really am and He loves me enough to change me . . . to evolve my character.
When you have a bad day . . . and they’re inevitable – take the time to pause and pray for God’s help.   When I’ve decided not to accept the bad attitude, my day will end surprisingly better than it started.   When I view these situations as opportunities for Godly conviction  . . . where I ask Him to forgive me for letting my emotions get the better of me, the slate is immediately wiped clean.
That’s because the faithful love of the Lord never ends!  His mercies never cease.  They begin afresh each morning.  Tomorrow is another day and a new opportunity.   
Having a bad day?  Hold your hand over your heart; Feel that . . . that beating?  That's called purpose.  You're alive for a reason.  God Bless you bunches today!
Lord Jesus, while I’m unable to see you, I can’t see the air I breathe either.  When my day turns bitter, I’ll take a deep breath of the air I cannot see, and pray to the One I can’t see - knowing You are perfecting me.  Amen