Thursday, August 16, 2012

The Whisper of God

“He gives you a choice – the blessings that come from following His Word, or curses if you disobey.” ~ Deuteronomy 11:26-28
It wasn’t dramatic; uneventful really.  A van honked outside and Tyson said, "I guess that's for me."  Several boxes already waited by the curb.  He loaded a laptop into his backpack, kissed his mother, and shook my hand.  "Well, so long," he said. “Wish me luck!"  Off to college and a whole new life.
After the door closed behind him I went upstairs to Tyson’s room.  An elaborate collection of stuff littered his desk: Graduation cards, pictures, loose change, ticket stubs – a young man’s past.  Clothing was scattered about, several lacrosse sticks, an empty trumpet case.
Up to the attic where objects came alive . . . a box of toy soldiers, a football helmet, a stamp album, faded photographs, a lock of golden hair.  Memories flooded my senses.  How time had flown by; it was only yesterday when . . .
I finally settled in my own room.  On the wall hung a picture of a little boy, his toothless grin framed in shapeless curls.  Not much more than a decade between the taking of that picture and the slamming of the front door moments go.  I’ll actually miss being tapped for money, being laughed at for my musical tastes, and empty juice cartons in the refrigerator.
Somehow, it reminded me of all the scolding’s I’d given him; the lectures on virtue and wisdom I did not myself possess.   Did I tell Tyson how proud I was of him?  Did I set the best example for him to make good decisions?  Will he run with the right crowd?  Will he study without being nagged to do so?  Will he develop a generous heart?  Will he . . . did I?
I’m grieving the loss of those joyful parts of my life that have to change yet I’m also grateful to watch him move out on his own.  Just when sniffles replace sobs, I wish Tyson a remarkable journey lined with breadcrumbs to always find his way home.
Have you ever wondered what it must be like for God, knowing how much he loves us, watching us step out on our own, and allowing us the freedom to make mistakes – even fatal ones?  God does have a purpose for everyone's life but we don't always find that plan.
Our ability to choose is a gift from God – it’s up to us to use it wisely . . . or not.  Even though we may stray from the path that God illuminates for us, He’ll always be present to help us find our way back and realize all of the good things He has in store for us.
Father, thank you for giving me free will to love and be loved; to learn from the mistakes of poor decisions, to laugh when I’m happy and cry when I’m sad; and for never giving up on me!  Amen