Monday, September 17, 2012

Sometimes You Need a Little 'Home'

“Home is where the heart is." ~ English Proverb
Today was no different than most since Rebecca entered the small private college which held within its boundaries an infinite expanse of knowledge and the keys to her future.   Today however, she sensed a nudging, almost an urgent pull to check her mailbox.  A mailbox, that usually held nothing more than dust ‘bunnies’ - a painful reminder that no one back home sat with pen to paper, filled with excitement as they started a “Dear Rebecca” letter.
The sensation grew stronger as she approached the row of antique mailboxes.
Rebecca stood before the box 4395, more afraid of it being empty than what might be inside.  Fingers trembling, she inserted the worn key and turned the latch.  Just past the smoky glass, a white envelope appeared amid the emptiness.  “Dear God, please don’t let it be another bill,” she groaned silently.
Moist eyes stared at the return address; news from home in her father’s handwriting.  She tore open the letter; her heart racing with anticipation. 
My Dearest Rebecca,
My life changed the day Mom and I found out that you were on your way. From that moment forward, you have been on my mind and in my heart – every second of every day. I’ll never forget the trip home from the hospital . . . overwhelmed by the task of protecting you from the dangers of the world.
Now that you’ve gone off to college, I’m still nervous. The perils of the world remain, but I don’t have much control.  The responsibility for your safety is now more yours than mine.
When I last hugged you goodbye, I wasn’t able to say all that I wanted to.  I love you.  I’m proud of you.  I believe in you.  I know you’re ready for life’s next phase.
Your mom and I watched you grow into your own person, and we trust you to make good choices (though we expect that you’ll make some mistakes that will help you mature).
The next four years will have a huge impact on the rest of your life.  So work hard, dream big, make good decisions – and have fun!  Let your values, your faith, and your character guide you.  Never doubt that we miss you and will always be proud of you.
Dad (aka Daddy)
She read it twice then tucked it carefully in her purse – a constant reminder of the support she’d need to cross some hurdles and eventually the finish line. 
There's just something magical about a little something from home – be it a 10-page epic written on both sides of the paper, or an amusing comic strip.  Keep those letters coming!  Start making those lemon squares.  Never lose touch!

Lord, as our children go away, we pray that they’ll be safe, make wise choices and find Your guiding light.  Help us to guide them differently, more subtly, but with the same love and inspiration You show to us as parents.  Amen