Sunday, September 30, 2012

Elyssa’s Lily

 “Don’t let anger defeat you.” ~ Ephesians 4:26-28
Elyssa was angry . . . and for good reason.  Her husband Cristian was serving time in prison for murder.  He claimed it was self-defense.  She knew he wasn’t capable of such a heinous act; violence would never have been his option.  But the jury said otherwise.  L
“Loneliness is the worst part,” Elyssa said to her friend Nina after taking an unsteady sip of hot coffee.  She’d never had to deal with anything like this. 
“I’m tired of packing the kids into the car every Sunday and driving ninety miles to the prison just to visit Cristian for an hour.  I’m thinking about visiting once a month instead; it’s just too much stress on us all.”
“Honey, I don’t know how you do it,” Nina nodded reassuringly. 
“I hate him for leaving me!  I hate paying the lawyer a small fortune to keep making appeals.  I hate that I have to clear out my own sewing room to make room for a boarder in order to make the house payment.  My ten-year old started wetting her bed a month ago.  Her younger brother spends much of his day in time-out.  I’m at the end of my rope!”
Softly, Nina tried to console her.  “You’re carrying so much anger; you’ve got to let it go!”
“What did you suggest I do, pretend I’m not mad?”
“Try this.  Make a list of the things that make you sad or angry.  When you finish your list, put it in an old shoebox and bury it in the backyard.”  She walked over to the kitchen sink, peering out past the huge maple.  “I see the perfect burial spot.”
“How’s that going to help?  Will the Parole Board release Cristian early?  Will that pay my bills, or return by life to normal again?
“No, but every time you feel miserable, look out at the dirt mound atop the box of pain, and say a little prayer.” 
Elyssa didn’t believe that such a simple act would help, but she had nothing to lose.  She hoped it might somehow relieve the tension her anger caused.  So she buried her box.
Spring came early - buds formed on rose bushes and leaves blanketed the branches.  It’d been five weeks since Elyssa visited Cristian; despair had further sapped her spirit.
One morning Elyssa starred out her window.  On the tiny mound where she’d buried her troubles, she spotted a white lily swaying in the gentle breeze.  Greek legend says that white lilies symbolize innocence.  On the tomb of those convicted of a crime they didn’t commit, a white lily grows without being planted.
Her eyes sparkled; a blissful smile warmed her soul.  Today might be a good day to gather the kids and visit Cristian.
Please God, bring Your Peace to my heart.  Help me heal from these things that cause me pain, and help me forgive all those who hurt me.  Let me dwell on the good, peaceful and remarkable blessings in my life.  Elyssa