Sunday, October 21, 2012

The $1.17 Miracle

“Carry each other’s burdens and you will please God." ~ Galatians 6:2
Shanice pulled a pink piggy bank from its hiding place in her closet.  She dumped its contents onto the floor and counted it methodically.   Placing the coins back in the bank, she slipped out the back door and skipped decisively to Walgreen’s Drug Store.
She waited patiently for the pharmacist to acknowledge her.   Shanice stomped her little feet and repulsively cleared her throat to get his attention.  No luck!  Finally she took a quarter from her bank and slapped it on the counter.  That did it!
"What do you want?  Can’t you see I’m busy?" he said in an annoyed tone without waiting for her reply.
"Well,” she answered back, hands on hips and in the same annoyed tone.  “I need to talk to you about my brother!   "He's really, really sick . . . and I’ve got money to buy a miracle."  If it isn't enough, I’ll get the rest.  Just tell me how much!"
"Come again," said the skeptical pharmacist.
"His name is Terrell and he has something bad growing inside his head.  Daddy says only a miracle can save him now.  So how much does a miracle cost?"
"Honey,” the pharmacist said with newfound tenderness.  “We don't sell miracles here.  I’m afraid I can't help you." 
A well dressed man waiting for his prescription overheard the conversation and couldn’t help but ask: "What kind of a miracle does your brother need?"
I don't know," Shanice replied, eyes welling up.  "I just know he's really sick and Mommy says he needs an operation that Daddy can't afford, so I want to use my money, all $1.17 of it."
"Well, what a coincidence," smiled the man, "Miracles for little brothers happen to be on sale today for $1.17.  You’re in luck!"
Taking her money in one hand, he grasped her mitten and said, "Take me to home to meet your family.  Let's see if I have the miracle you need."
That smartly dressed man turned out to be a neurosurgeon.  The operation was completed free of charge and it wasn't long until Terrell was home again and doing well.  Shanice overheard Mom and Daddy talking about the miraculous chain of events.  "I wonder how much that surgery cost?" her mom questioned.  Shanice smiled.  She knew exactly how much - $1.17, plus the love of a faithful child.
Things happen to us that at the time seem horrible, painful and unfair.  Upon reflection, we realize that without overcoming those obstacles, we never would have recognized our strength, courage or potential.
Everything happens for a reason.  Nothing occurs by chance or by luck.  Illness, injury, love, lost moments of true greatness, and sheer stupidity all occur to test the limits of our souls.
Lord Jesus, I am my brother’s keeper!  Help us who have received so freely from You, give as freely in return, in order to enjoy both the pleasure of giving and the happiness of receiving.  Amen