Sunday, November 11, 2012

Bring 'Em Home

“Don’t fear your enemies, the Lord will always be with you and help you.” ~ Deuteronomy 31:8
Billy knew all about prayer.  The first thing each morning he’d kneel by his bedside to ask the Lord’s blessing.  Especially today - his Dad was coming home from Afghanistan. 
He and Mom went to the airport and waited.  But his Dad didn’t come home this day.  So they returned home.  Billy kissed his Mom goodnight and went straight to his room and knelt by his bed.
“Hi God, it’s Billy.  Daddy must have missed his flight today.  So we waited for the next one and the ones after that.  Please send Daddy home so Mommy will stop crying.  Thank you!”
The next day, Billy listened to his Mom on the phone ask repeatedly why his Dad hadn’t come home with the rest of the soldiers.  She must have a lot of tears stored up, he thought.  Skipping dinner, Billy knelt again by his bed.
“It’s me again God. I’m worried about Mommy.  When she’s not crying, she just stares out the window.  She’s really worried about Dad.  Will you please send him home now?  I’d sure ‘preciate it.”
It’d been over a month and Billy’s Dad still wasn’t home.  One day a man in a uniform came to the door and Mom stepped outside.  He seemed like a nice man, but all of a sudden Mom started screaming.  Billy was confused – was his Dad finally coming home?  He ran upstairs and knelt by his bed and prayed.
“I need you bad God!  Some man in a uniform just showed up and made Mom scream.  He ‘pologized before he left.  I don’t understand why she’s so upset?  The man said Daddy would be home tomorrow with a pine box.  He must have lost his suitcase I guess.  Thanks for sending him home.”
As the new day dawned, Billy’s Mom stood silently by her child’s bedroom door.  She listened to as her brave, little five year old boy prayed through sobs.
“It’s . . . m’m’me again J’J’Jesus.  I un’ stand about the wood box now.  I guess I forgot to ask You to send Daddy back to us alive; I thought You knew what I meant.  But you did do what I asked, so thank you for trying. The next time I ask for somethin’, make sure I ask the right way.  Please tell Dad I’m sorry I got him dead.  I didn’t mean to.”
Billy opened his tear-swollen eyes to see his Mom standing in the doorway.  “Oh Billy, it’s not your fault,” she said through tears holding her arms out to him.  ”If it hadn’t been for your prayers, your Daddy may never have come home at all.”
God of all goodness, Bless those men and women who serve and have served in their country’s armed forces.  In faith and hope, we trust You to sustain us as we await the safe return of those separated from the ones who love them.  Amen