Monday, November 5, 2012

Smoke Filled

“Welcome strangers into your home, they may be angels in disguise." ~ Hebrews 13:2
Before his accident, my son Arthur had been a great prosecutor, renowned for his many victories.  He’d gotten a little cocky on a crotch-rocket, rounded a corner way too fast, and paid a horrific price. 
Thankfully he survived . . . but something inside him died.  Life’s zest evaporated.  Offers of help were sarcastically rejected.  He sits for hours in his wheelchair, a cup of coffee staring back black as sin and bitter as he feels.  I’d hoped the fresh air and rustic ambiance of my small farm would help him adjust.  But self-pity makes his skin crawl with disgust. 
We often argue.  Even our pastor tried to help, hoping a more direct line to the Almighty would soothe Arthur’s troubled mind.  God’s been silent so far. 
Just when I’d given up hope, I read an article suggesting pets can sometimes ease the loneliness of depression.   Dogs seem perfect – they love even genocidal maniacs.
The odor of disinfectant stung my nostrils as I entered the local animal shelter.   My search for the right companion seemed futile until an old dog struggled to his feet near the last pen.  Years had etched his face in shades of gray: cloudy eyes invoked resolute humility. 
"I'll take him," I said without hesitation. 
At home, Arthur wrinkled his face in disgust.  "If I’d wanted a dog, I’d have picked out a better one than that bag of bones.  Take it back!” he waved scornfully 
Anger burned inside me. "You'd better get used to him, son.  He's staying . . . or you’re leaving!" 
We glared at each other like hated enemies, when suddenly the dog wobbled toward Arthur and carefully raised his frail paw.   
That marked the beginning of an intimate friendship.  He and “Smoke” explored the countryside, taking long hikes down dusty roads.  They spent reflective moments on the banks of the old trout pond and even started attending Sunday services together.  As his bitterness faded, Arthur and Smoke made many new friends. 
Late one night, Smoke’s cold nose burrowed into my bed covers.  He’d never done that before.  I ran to Arthur’s bedside, where he lay motionless.  His spirit had left quietly during the darkness. 
My grief deepened two days after the funeral when I discovered Smoke lying peacefully beside Arthur’s vacant bed.  Wrapping Smoke’s lifeless form in his favorite rug, I buried him near the trout pond before silently thanking him for restoring Arthur’s peace of mind. 
Suddenly the past dropped into place, completing a puzzle that I’d not seen before: that random article, Smoke’s appearance at the animal shelter . . . his complete devotion to Arthur . . . and the proximity of their deaths.  God had answered my prayers after all.
Almighty Father, thank you for our pets.  They teach us to love unselfishly, to live each day to the fullest, and to grow old with dignity.  Teach us to return what they’ve given us to others in need of inspiration.  Amen