Wednesday, April 23, 2014

For Them

“Don’t fear bad news.  Be confident due to your trust in the Lord.” ~ Psalm 112:7
Most of us have spent some time thinking about our own deaths.  We do it with a sense of dreadful curiosity, and then quickly push it aside with “Well, we’ve all got to go sometime.”
Unlike most people, I probably know the how, and maybe even the where and when of that event.  It’s intense reality that turns the world upside down for us, our families, friends and caregivers.
I have cancer that is incurable, aggressive, and offers little hope for survival.  Chemotherapy is a long shot.  I will leave a spouse, children, siblings and a life that I love and cherish.  I can’t imagine life without them.
There’s no bucket list.  There are no plans to sky or scuba dive, visit the Great Wall, or cruise the western Carribean.  We look to the small things we’ve known for decades that have become precious to us now: gazing at the stars, movie nights at home, decorating sugar cookies, daily quiet time with God.
From nausea and hair loss, to so-called "chemo-brain" and "metal mouth," the side effects of chemotherapy are unpleasant.  Muscles and bones constantly talk back at me.  Today self-pity matches the painful of chemo drugs assaulting my body.
Salty tears remind me of the ocean, so turquois, calm and vast.   In my mind’s eye, I see my husband and three children splashing in the warm water.   I’m beginning to feel the distance between us, it feels like a lifetime.   Sobbing now, I feel like an outsider, wondering how it will be without me.   
I just want to see my son play baseball, watch him wave at me standing on 2nd base.  I just want to take my daughter shopping for makeup, applying powder to her porcelain skin.  I just want to read with my youngest, snuggled in bed together turning pages of a book.  I just want to grow old with my husband, continue to share our lives as we have for twenty-two years.   The darkness of depression crashes in on me now like a hammer.
I search for joy, but sometimes fear and sadness are overwhelming. 
My misery is suddenly interrupted by a little boy with a bald head, no older than 5.  He snuck up behind me, handed me an orange popsicle, gave my leg a big hug and said, “My mom says we have to keep smiling.”
I smile graciously and mouth “I will.”
My mood brightens.  I gather strength.  I re-commit.
I’ll do what I can every day to find that joy, and share it.  If I can’t find it I’ll make it.  That’s my pledge – to him, for them!
The bad days will come someday.  But that day is not today.  I am blessed.
Healing Lord, bless all those who face cancer’s uncertainty – those awaiting test results, undergoing treatment, and living with the fear of reoccurrence.  Please bring them comfort and strength, knowing that You hold them in Your precious grasp.  Amen