Thursday, April 17, 2014

It Takes a Thief

“You were saved by faith in God, who treats us better than we deserve." ~ Ephesians 2: 8
I really don’t belong here.  But let’s come back to that later.
I’d been mugging, cheating and stealing all my life.  Even as a kid, I'd run through the market, snatching fruit from the vendors.  While others studied in school, I was perfecting my skills at armed robbery.  I could steal from anyone, anytime, anyplace.
Waving an imposing weapon usually did the trick.  Threaten people with a beating and they'd give up without much of a fight.  I'll admit to cracking a few skulls in my day, but I don't think I actually killed anyone.  Then again, I never stayed around long enough to find out.
Life in my neighborhood was rough.  I was abused as a child; neglected as a child, despised for being a child.  If I hadn’t stolen, I wouldn’t have had anything.  I just lived to survive.
I didn’t know God then, but God knew me.  He saw everything I did and patiently waited for me to change, but that wasn’t going to happen.  Greed blinded me.  Eventually you “reap what you sow” and the day finally came when God withdrew His mercy from me.  
Arrested and convicted, and I was sentenced to die.  It’s a day I’ll never forget . . . the day Christ saved me.  Yep, I’m one of the thieves that was crucified with Jesus nearly 2000 years ago.  
From my own cross, I knew the pain He was going through.  But Jesus didn’t fight them; He didn’t resist.  I thought about my wasted life.  The sign above Jesus' head said that He was a King.  “Was He really who He said He was?” I wondered.  “How could He show so much love to such terrible sinners?  He must be the Savior!  
I had nothing to offer.  I couldn’t’ promise to walk the path of righteousness - my feet were nailed to the cross.  I couldn’t start doing good deeds because my hands were also nailed to the cross.  I couldn’t promise to live a cleaner life.  My life was just about over.
So I cried out, “Jesus, when you enter Your Kingdom, will you remember me?"
He opened his piercing, loving eyes.  Though parched lips, I still remember His labored words: "Truly, I say to you . . ." His voice cracked, then He added calmly. "Truly, this very day you will be with Me in Paradise."
I really don't belong here.  Paradise is the last place I expected to end up after all I've done.  My greatest moment in life was my last: the moment I put my faith in Christ.  That day on Calvary, the glory of the cross was demonstrated in my salvation.  What an amazing and clear-cut picture of grace!  Total forgiveness; pretty amazing!
Lord, we’ve all sinned and fall short of Your glory.  Thank You for giving us hope for eternal life, not because we deserve it, but because of Your unfathomable grace.  Amen