Wednesday, November 5, 2014

She Never Forgot

“Here I am Lord.  Send me!" ~ Isaiah 6:8
For a brief moment the soldier turned and gave one last wave to her daughter before boarding the military transport bound for a distant war.  The little girl began waving frantically; as if the act would trigger a quicker return home.
The next and only contact she’d ever have again with US Army First Lieutenant Amy C. Wisner, would be a handwritten letter that had been composed in the event of her death.  Lt. Wisner was killed by an IED during the first Gulf War.
She never got the chance to hold her Mommy’s hand again, or sing for her in the school musical.  She’d never get to hear Mommy laugh at her birthday party or get a good-night kiss from her.  She just carried the image of that fateful goodbye and the wound in her heart that might never heal.
 
"Dear Madison,” it began. 
“I'm sorry I broke my promise to you when I said I was coming back.  It broke my heart the day I left and you said, “Don't go; I need you Mommy, why do you have to leave me?”
Leaving you and Daddy was the hardest thing I ever had to do.  The best day of my life was the day you were born. Every time I saw you smile my heart would just melt.  My life wasn’t complete until you entered it.
Never forget that God knew what was best for us before we were even born.  Take comfort in that.  This happened for a reason.  Always remember to say your prayers at night and give thanks for your many blessings.
If you can do anything for me, take school seriously and do your best.  Try to learn as much as you can about the world you live in.  With a good education you can do anything.  
Stay away from drugs and bad men; they’ll both ruin your life.  You deserve better.
Finally little one, please be proud of me.  One day you’ll understand the choices I made.  Until then never forget the value of freedom and always remember that I love you that much.  Stay beautiful, stay sweet. I’ll always watch over you.  Love, Mommy"
As the briefing continued, the young soldier thought back to the day her Mom boarded that plane.  Fear, honor, and sorrow overwhelmed her.  
Madison stared off into the distance at the same fence where so many years ago she and her Dad had stood.  Slowly a tear fell as her faded Mother’s memory disappeared into the cavernous C-5 Galaxy aircraft.  Madison smiled at the phantom image before reciting under her breath: "I understand now Mom . . . I never forgot."
Her heart raced with pride as her company began loading their gear.
Father, we could never thank our military men and women enough for their courageous service and sacrifice to our country and its people.  Show us ways in our communities, churches, and families to thank and love them better.  Amen