Monday, June 8, 2015

God Doesn't Make Mistakes

“Rejoice my son, your brother was lost and now he’s been found." ~ Luke 15:32
Both his dad and grandfather were pastors; evangelists for over 100 years combined.  Young Vince did missionary work with them on Arizona’s Apache reservation.  The only way his Christian upbringing could’ve been more complete was if he’d married the daughter of a Baptist minister – which he did in 1976.
Once the poster boy of Christian morality, Vince Furnier (aka Alice Cooper) shocked the world in the 1970s with am outrageous stage show that featured baby doll mutilation, boa constrictors, and Cooper's dark, androgynous make up.   ‘Shock Rock’ as it was eventually labeled, celebrated moral decay.  Cooper’s band set the standard for countless heavy metal and punk bands such as Ozzie Osborn and Marilyn Manson.
Introduced to drugs and alcohol when he began his music career, Cooper quickly became obsessed with both.  “I was probably the most functional addict ever; I never missed a show or slurred a word,” he admitted. 
That all changed when his wife Sheryl threatened to leave him because of his decadent ways.  They attended a church with a “hellfire” pastor. 
Cooper claims Divine intervention broke his drinking habit.  “I guess you can call it a miracle.  It’s the only way I can explain it.” He shocked the rock world again by quietly embracing Christianity – “more out of the fear of God, than the love of God.  “I didn’t want to go to hell.” 
Now he sees his faith in Christ as “an ongoing journey; something you just progress in.  You learn.  You study the Bible.  You pray!” Further he admitted, “I’m a rock singer - nothing more than that.  I’m not a philosopher.  I’m low on the totem pole of educated Christians.  So, don’t look for answers from me.”
Cooper’s revelation was more a return to faith than a coming to faith.  “I was convinced all my life that there was just one God.  And there’s always been a Devil too,” he said.  And he has this advice for his critics: “I was one thing then, and now I’m something new.  Don’t judge Alice by what he used to be.  Praise God for what I am now.”
“I’m the modern day Prodigal Son,” said Cooper.  “I messed up and then God started reeling me back in.  He chips away at your life all the time to try to make you more like Him,” said Cooper.  “That’s what a Christian is, a person that’s constantly being molded and shaped.

That’s exactly what that visionary pastor advised him years before.  He said “God doesn't make mistakes!   God put you in an uncommon situation with a purpose.  Now let your lifestyle be a better example.” 
That’s not the counsel Vince had expected.
Dear Lord, of all the things I want for my child, salvation is the greatest, yet it feels the most elusive.  Embrace my child with Your wisdom and love. I pray that (s)he is becoming tender toward You and receptive to Your Word.  Amen