Thursday, April 21, 2016

Faith Fitness

“Your body, given to you by God, is a temple for the Holy Spirit." ~ 1 Corinthians 6:19

Gerald was on the heavy side.  He lived amidst a toxic cloud of judgement; most people saw only poor self-control and weak mindedness.  Some folks have invisible addictions; to tobacco, caffeine or painkillers.  But his was too obvious to miss; he wore it like a thick overcoat.
"Eat less, exercise more."   Seemed easy enough.  But how could he gad about town with their  stares boring into him.  The one place that Gerald felt free to open up and reveal his true self, where others accepted, valued and loved him, was his Bible Study group.
Luck had turned in his favor when Jonah had invited him to church that day.  Gerald froze.  “I don’t think I’m quite ready to go to church,” he’d replied.  “I’m in a funk right now.  Gimme a few months to straighten my life out then ask me again.”
Gerald’s response had drawn a sad look from Jonah who explained that “you don’t have to “straighten out” your life before coming to church.  Perfect people surely don’t need a church.”
Jonah continued.  “A church is more than a ‘belief’ system; it’s a ‘belong’ system.  It’s like being adopted; adopted into the family of Christ,” he explained.
His first visit to St. Paul’s was terrifying – was he dressed right, would he be accepted, is this the right one?  And what about all those people who studied the Bible?
But now he felt more relaxed.  Small groups were much less intimidating.  Today they explored     1 Corin 6: 19-20 and discussed the importance of caring for whatever body graced us with in order to be used for God's glory.
“Health clubs” he pictured in his mind’s eye.  “Those intimidated places filled with incredible hulks and smiling supermodels, surrounded by sinister-looking machines.   How silly he’d look in front of those people.”
Fear chilled his spine - just like when he’d first considered going to church.  People who need it most are often the ones who avoid it.  Yet the imperfect, out-of-shape, people like him are the ones who need it most.
“If I don’t do it for myself,” he thought, “I should do it for Jesus.”  The local gym would be his next stop before going home.
For thousands of us faith and fitness are colliding.  Seventy-five percent of Americans are Christians.  Sixty-five percent of us are overweight.  The stats paint an unflattering picture of a rather unhealthy Christian population who may exercise their faith, but not their bodies.
Our bodies are one of the many things we need to steward for God.  One of the ways we steward them well is to live healthy lives – exercise, eat right, sleep well.  Healthy bodies and souls are equally important.
Holy Father, run by my side, live in my heartbeat, give strength to my steps, give purpose to my struggle.  Unleash the best in me as I give you the beast in me.  May my workout bring glory to you Lord.  Amen.