Monday, April 4, 2016

God Chat

“When you search for me with all your heart, you will find me." ~ Jeremiah 29:13

Amelia couldn’t remember the impact.  That part of the accident was a blank.  She only vaguely recalled crawling from the car; then everything went black.
In the months that followed, Amelia had numerous surgeries; bringing intense, stabbing pains.  Barbiturate cocktails kept her reasonably comfortable.  She could only listen and watch depending on what strength she could muster.
Today, lying flat on her back and completely immobile, Amelia stared at an empty ceiling.  She got angry at the only one she knew would listen.  “God, I know how fortunate I've been in my life, but I've had my heartbreaks too and I don’t want any more!”
God: “Good morning, it’s good to hear from you again.”
Amelia’s brain registered complete shock.  Was she really talking to God?   If so, why not continue.  “Please Lord, take away my pain.”
God: “It’s not mine to take away; it’s for you to give up.”
Amelia: “Won’t You make me whole again Father?”
God: “Dear child, your body is only temporary; your spirit remains whole.  Suffering draws you away from worldly cares and brings you closer to Me.”
Sensing this conversation was not going the way she’d hoped, Amelia changed tactics.  “OK, God, at least grant me patience to heal.”
God: Patience Amelia, is the byproduct of misfortune.  It isn’t granted, it’s earned.  I give you endless blessings, happiness is up to you.”
Amelia: “So I should pray to use the gift of free will wisely?”  God: “Now you’re talking.”
Amelia: “Help me love others as much as you love me.”
God: I think you nailed it!  Rest now my friend, I’ve got this.”
Amelia sank deep into the soft pillows that enveloped her head.  She felt a quiver of joy.  To try and describe the peace and presence of the Holy Spirit in words is like trying to describe the Grand Canyon to someone who’s never been there.
When Amelia woke, her memory was as vivid as “The Nutcracker” on a new 60” plasma TV.  She glanced at a page that had fallen open from the Bible resting on her hospital table.  The print read: "When you search for me with all your heart, you will find me.”  (Jeremiah 29:13)
God loves to hear us talk to Him.  Prayer is like saying, "Hello, God, it's me.  I'd like to get to know You better.  Here's what's going on in my life, and I'd sure like Your thoughts on how to handle it.”  Once we've prepared our hearts to listen through prayer, we're more likely to hear the voice of God.  He speaks to us in many ways, through His Word, our thoughts, through conversations with others and through circumstance.
Lord Jesus, I know I’m a sinner, and I ask for Your forgiveness.  I believe you died for my sins and rose from the dead.  I trust and follow You as my Lord and Savior.  Guide my life and help me to do Your will.  Love, Amelia