Wednesday, January 1, 2020

His Magnificence

“The heavens reveal God’s glory; their expanse declares the work of His hands." ~ Psalm 19
Dear friend, I tried to reach you today.
When you woke this morning, I sent a vivid sunrise through your window, hoping to get your attention, but you rushed off without noticing.  It was an invitation to a new day that filled the sky with luscious hues radiating joy, fresh starts, and renewed hope.  But you seemed so busy, so preoccupied, so unnerved.
Later, I noticed you walking with some friends, so I bathed you in warm sunshine and scented the air with nature’s sweetest fragrances.  Streams of sunlight tumbled onto strands of grass that glistened with the morning dew.  Despite the wisps of azure-powdered clouds, you still didn’t notice me; something seemed to be swallowing your dreams.
When your friends left, I shouted to you in a thunderstorm.  The first crack of lightening flickered not like a bolt, but rather a Divine camera flash that blanketed the mountainside in brilliant light.  When the first drops of rain fell, they were as large as the tears I’d cried for my Heavenly Father as I hung from that cross.
Then I painted a spectacular rainbow in the sky, sort of my graffiti, letting you know that even on grey days the boldest colors can leap.  Rainbows are the doorway in which all around you is home - a place the soul feels both free and safe.
You barely noticed.  You seemed so sad, so self-absorbed.
In the evening, I spilled moonlight onto your face and sent a cool breeze to rest you.  The moonlight weakened the night’s loneliness but not so bright as to dull the stars speckling the heavens above.  Without so much as a backwards glance you slipped into bed.
As you slept, I watched over you, but you were unaware that I was so close.  I’m really good at helping you release emotional blockages while you sleep at night.  You can rest with confidence that I’m alert and ready to help during your slumber.
So, I’m writing to say how much I care for you and to tell you how much I want you to know Me better.  Let’s talk soon.  Until then, know that I love you very much.
Your Friend, Jesus
God’s beauty is so grand we often miss it.  Because of sin, we tend to focus so much on the negative aspects of the world that we fail to see the beauty that’s right before us.
We see the hands of intelligent design in the beauty of His creation.  Examine the autumn leaves, the harmony of chirping birds or the gorgeous skies above.  Although sin mars this world, God in his grace leaves us glimpses of the eternal magnificence we’ll see one day see in Heaven.
Creator of all, help us fully appreciate the awesome beauty of our world.  Show us, once again, the simple joys of walking barefoot on a sandy beach, playing in the rain, and touching the cool earth with our hands.  Amen