Thursday, January 16, 2020

I Won't Die Before I'm Dead

“Though our bodies age, our spirits are renewed every day." ~ 2 Corinthians 4:16
My life was just cruising along.  Oh, there were bumps along the way.  But guided missiles don’t go in a straight line when launched either.  They gather feedback along the way and make corrections until they hit their target.  Such is my story.
Things were going pretty well, until it happened: a head-on collision with breast cancer.  I instantly wondered what I’d done in my life to be punished so harshly.  I believed my cancer diagnose was a death sentence and repeatedly asked, “Why me?”
Yet, it all became an awakening for me.  Not only did I find the true meaning of life, I found the true meaning of beauty.
During the treatments, I often found myself staring in the mirror wondering if my body would ever recover.  The areas that were assaulted by chemicals and radiation today serve as a reminder that I had cancer.  I’m human; it bothers me a little.  But those areas can be covered up.  True beauty lies within; when you feel beautiful on the inside, it shines more brightly on the outside.
Before cancer, when I’d hear about someone who was sick or fallen on hard times, I’d say a prayer and think about them briefly.  Soon I’d fall back into my own world, oblivious to their misfortune.
Cancer changed my behavior.  I find myself wanting to help all those suffering in the same way that compassion was shown to me.  When you’re at your lowest and feeling the world crumble around you, even the smallest gestures bring a glimmer of hope and brighten a very dark time.
None of us would choose to have cancer.  But getting that unexpected mortality check deepened my appreciation for this life.  Each moment holds out the promise of revelation.  Just because I had cancer, doesn't mean cancer had me.
Cancer, like faith, urges us toward the essential in our lives; toward love and kindness and reliance on a God that a loves us deeply.  We suddenly understand that hugs, smiles, encouraging words and even a restful night’s sleep, are the kinds of ordinary gifts that make up our lives.
Going through cancer is not a gift.  Surviving it, receiving a second chance at life, is the gift.  I'm truly grateful; I’ll no longer take my life for granted, it's too precious.  I also realized after surviving all the surgeries, chemo, radiation and pain, that I was about to face new beginnings, new hope, and profound trust in a God who has further plans for me.
I’m a survivor - an example of what can happen; that one can go on and feel just as beautiful, inside and out, and it shines brighter.  The scars now part of my body due to cancer, are just that.  They're symbols for someone else's inspiration and hope.
I truly believe if and when you survive a horrific tragedy or a horrible disease, it's for a reason.  Through that purpose - faith, compassion, strength, and true beauty are born.  I share my story with others hoping to make a positive impact on someone so they can view life in a whole new way.  I'm starting over, doing things I should have done before cancer.
Father God, we humbly pray for all those who are fighting cancer.  Give them the hope and courage they need each day.  Comfort them in their pain and bless them with healing.  Strengthen their family, friends, and caregivers.  In Jesus’ name, Amen