Friday, April 2, 2021

Edith

 Jesus said, “There are many rooms in My Father’s house.  I will make a place for you.” ~ John 14:2

Dr. Andrew Block rocked back in the timeworn leather chair that’d become his throne … and cocoon.  His emotions waxed and waned; recalling earlier days – crazy, anxious times building a career and raising a family.  

The hectic life of toddlers had given way to the social chaos of teenagers.  Life had slowed to a more mellow pace.  As head of the Oncology Department, Jack didn't mind white hair or adding a few notches to his belt either.

Life had been good until a just few weeks ago.


“I’m so sorry to have to tell you this.”  Andrew had delivered that same line a thousand times.  But it never sounded so chilling as when he’d heard the diagnosis of his own pancreatic cancer from a colleague.  The words - Terminal, Hospice and Comfort Care - splintered inside him.

It wasn’t dying that scared Andrew.  His affairs were in order, his wife and children were well provided for.  He grieved the loss of life he’d miss; seeing his daughter grow to be a mother and his son to be a Dad.  Not ready to be called Home by God, he constantly asked “Why me?”  

Intellectually, he knew God worked His own way in His own time for His own purpose.  But emotionally, he wasn’t ready to say goodbye to beloved family who’d graced his life on earth and go to Him, yet.

He had a more pressing duty today however. 

Edith, a wonderful Christian patient he’d known for years, waited in the reception area for test results.  Glumly, Andrew entered the waiting room and spotted the older woman, a Bible perched conspicuously on her lap, sharing its Wisdom with the young mother sitting beside her.

He motioned for her to follow him to his office.  She eyed the doctor quizzically before asking, “What wrong Dr. Block, why so sad?  Are you still reading your Bible?  Are you praying faithfully?”

He spoke in a voice of uncommon warmth.  “I’m so sorry to have to tell you this Edith,” he said, pausing before the gut punch.  “Your lab results came back.  The tumor is cancerous.  I’m afraid its terminal.”

Unfazed, Edith replied, “Oh, you silly man!  Do you think God makes mistakes?  You just told me that I’m going to see my precious Lord, my husband, and my friends.  I’m going to celebrate Easter forever, and yet you’re struggling to give me my ticket!”

“What a magnificent woman!” Andrew thought.  “So genuine; called by her Creator to nurture others by her faith; the embodiment of His protective love.”

Her words were the "off switch" for his internal storm.  Maybe it was time for him to read John 14 again and get ready.

Dear ones; I’m so happy and so bright!  There’s perfect joy and beauty in His everlasting light.  All the pain and grief is gone; every restless tossing passed.  I’m now at peace forever, safely home in God’s Kingdom.  ~ Dr. Andrew Block