Sunday, October 29, 2023

"Leaves That Are Green"

 “Thank God, who gives us victory over sin and death through our Lord Jesus Christ." ~ 1 Corin 15:57

One of my favorite Autumn songs is the soul-gripping tune by the fabled folk-rock duo, Simon & Garfunkel. Released in 1966, “Leaves That Are Green” poetically explores the passage of time, the fleeting nature of life, and the bittersweet emotions that accompany the certainty of change.

As the song progresses, Simon cleverly uses the metaphor of leaves changing color and falling from trees to symbolize the passage of time and the impermanence of youth. The lyrics evoke a sense of melancholy that comes with growing older.

Yellow leaves framed the walking path on my walk today. As their bright green color fades, it seems they drop almost as quickly as they change. I like the summer months but part of me whispers to the trees: “Hold on just a little longer.”

Graciously the woods listen to their Creator. To flourish in the spring, a tree must release its decayed leaves; their time has drawn to a close. Autumn wakes us to wonder.

Springtime will bring its own beauty. It’s a relief to see new growth after a long, harsh winter. Then spring morphs into summer, and soon verdant forests become the new normal. It’s not that we get tired of green, but in a way, we get used to it. In the Fall, God’s creative artistry bellows a glory all its own.

Western culture is all about the glories of youth: strength, vitality, a body neither weathered nor weakened by time. In our culture, we see splendor in youth and freshness. Aging is looked upon with a skeptical eye. Autumn leaves are delicate, but their bold colors are so bright they shine.

Autumn doesn’t stay - reminding us that winter is coming. Its beauty and wonder fade, “and the leaves that are green turn to brown.” Its presence changes into winter’s chilled silence.

Just like autumn, I too will not live forever. My leaves will also die. My chlorophyll will break down; my limbs will turn brittle; one of these casual breaths I take now will be my last.

It’s this truth, that gives us the hope of dying fabulously. When I pass, I don’t wish to cling to the edges of this earth, begging for one more day. I want to die with grace, falling back into the arms of my Savior, knowing that His beauty is greater than anything I could compare on this earth.

Winter comes to us all. But winter isn’t the end for Christians, because our lives are joined to a tree that winter can’t touch. Death has no sting; winter has no bite. We will fall from Adam’s tree, but we will flower again in a spring of eternal, magnificent growth.

Lord of all, as cooler winds drift in and the days grow shorter, draw us closer to You. Let us feel Your warm and loving presence. May we imagine ourselves in Your arms, close to Your heart, surrounded by Your light. Amen