Wednesday, October 11, 2023

Sun Fire

“Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer.” ~ Romans 12:12

She had a career most young female athletes would envy.

Growing up, Lexi loved playing competitive soccer, helping her team win back-to-back state titles. But she literally outgrew the sport before her 12th birthday due to her height (5’10”). So, her parents encouraged her to give volleyball a try.

By the eighth grade, she was heavily recruited by the NCAA’s top volleyball programs. Lexi became the country’s 1 recruit after finishing her prep career with a record 2,813 kills.

In her first collegiate year, the 6’2” outside hitter helped lead the Texas Longhorns to a perfect conference record and was named a unanimous All-Big 12 selection. Texas finished 6th in the 2017 AVCA national poll.

But Texas’ program and culture weren’t suited to her. She transferred to the University of Nebraska for her sophomore year, confident that “God had a better plan! The Husker program was a perfect fit – it became her second home.

Sidelined with an upper-body injury, Lexi missed her first several matches at Nebraska. Then COVID hit. Everything, including volleyball, shut down. A promising relationship dissolved. 

The earthly things important to her had been stripped away.

Her focus shifted to Jesus. Growing up in a Christian home, faith had always been a part of her life but it wasn’t until she faced such personal hardships that her faith grew more active and authentic. “Through all life’s ups and downs, God’s consistency kept me grounded, both on and off the court,” she said. Her faith caught fire; she “burned” with enthusiasm.

Lexi helped the Cornhuskers defeat #2 Texas and #3 Pittsburgh in the 2021 NCAA Tournament to reach the school's tenth national title match. Their five-set loss to Wisconsin set a new NCAA volleyball attendance record.

But in her final year of eligibility, the Huskers’ two-time, first-team All-Big 10, outside hitter was relegated to a supporting role, coming off the bench during most of the season. Some might have pouted; others may have quit. But, with grace, sincerity, and love, she became the team’s spiritual leader and used her position to share her Christian faith and glorify God.

“Even though I wasn’t getting as much playing time, seeing my teammates grow spiritually made my final year amazing. Volleyball was a great way for me to thank God for the talents He blessed me with. So, I made it my goal to make Him better known!”

Lexi Sun currently lives in California, finishing her master’s degree while also providing full-time care for her 91-year-old grandmother with dementia. She frequently speaks to young athletes about her experiences, encouraging them to understand their reason for playing their sport. “Despite the success I had on the court, the greatest satisfaction was in giving my life to Christ and sharing my faith with others.”

“Dear God, thank You for this gift of life that I’ve done nothing to deserve. Humble me. I’m only here because of You, the least I can do is live my life for You.” ~ Lexi Sun