Friday, March 22, 2024

Another Perspective

 “Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.” ~ Lao Tzu

Shawn was feeling a little full of himself . . . and looking to pick a fight this morning.

Sheryl was running late for work. The demands of raising three children and holding down a full-time job weighed heavily on her. As she pulled her white Cadillac XT6 into the parking structure, Shawn sauntered by and said, "I wonder how many people could have been fed for the money that fancy SUV cost?

Instead of reacting impulsively, Sheryl took a deep breath, a brief moment of mindful presence.

“I’m not really sure, she answered thoughtfully. 

“It helped feed hundreds of families near Arlington, Texas who built it. It helped provide clothing for the children whose parent labored making the tires, components, and electronics that went into it. It helped aluminum, steel and copper miners build homes for their families and support schools in their communities. And it provided health insurance for truckers who hauled finished vehicles to the dealers who sell and maintain them.”

“But to be honest, I don’t know precisely how many people it helped feed,” she said. “Can I show you one more thing?”

Shawn nodded awkwardly as she motioned for him to look at her license plate.

“Yea, MD 1692,” he scoffed. “So what?”

“At 16,” she began, “I packed my things, left my dysfunctional family and moved to California. Those were some of the hardest years of my life, but the same adversity that made for a trying childhood also taught me how to thrive amid challenging circumstances.

That grit drove traditional measures of success. I got married, worked as a HS biology teacher, and earned a master’s degree in education. All while raising three children.

I even found time for volunteering after work at local hospitals ... and dreamed of becoming a doctor. So, I applied for medical school. More than 2 dozen schools turned me down. But I never gave up hope.

I drew the attention of a school in Barbados that looked beyond my lack-luster undergrad GPA and considered other factors. Now, after earning my M.D. in 1992, I returned here to become a physician and serve the community.

Please don’t misunderstand me, sharing with others is still an important responsibility for us all. But, when you buy something, you put money in people’s pockets and give them dignity for their skills. Give money the car may’ve cost to a soup kitchen, and it will give you a pleasantly warm feeling for having done a good deed. Soon the money will be gone, and the kitchen will need more. And so will the people it feeds.

And if no one ever bought that expensive SUV, what would happen to all those workers who benefitted from my purchase of it?”

Holy Father, thank You for the work of hand and mind; for the opportunity to plan and design, to manufacture and grow, to serve and conserve, and to care for one another in the places where we work. Amen