Sunday, July 21, 2024

His Grandeur

 “The heavens proclaim the glory of God. Nature displays His handiwork." ~ Psalm 19:1

At seventeen, Brittney (Brit) was dying, and she couldn’t do anything about it. Though her friends didn’t realize it, they were watching her die. They saw her floating face down in the lake, but assumed she was just clowning around.

But she wasn’t messing around. She simply couldn’t move. Not her arms. Not her legs. Nothing. She had yet to comprehend that her life had already changed forever.

X-rays would confirm a fracture of the C5 vertebra and acute spinal cord damage. Total paralysis of the upper and lower body. In nanoseconds, she went from being an adventurous, outgoing, bold student-athlete to worrying about her future and grieving the loss.

Brit spent six weeks in the hospital. She lost her mobility, muscle tone and nearly all memories of the previous 12 months. Her entire junior year… eviscerated. But during the slow rehab process, she decided that she was ‘all-in,’ and followed God’s lead despite the tragedy. Hope emerged. Optimism flourished. Faith amplified.

She completed her senior year on schedule and graduated from college while living at home adjusting to her new reality. After considering a career in medicine, Brittney pivoted to law, and at age 27, earned her law degree from SMU.

“Sure, people are paralyzed, deafened, and blinded,” she said. “It doesn’t mean God’s creation lacks purpose and value. We still can choose to experience God’s magnificence.”

“I love the intricate details of a flower. It’s delicate petals, vibrant colors, and sweet fragrance all point to God’s artistry. His power speaks to me in towering mountain heights, their rugged terrain and snow-capped peaks.”

“The magnificence of a sunrise - its fiery hues and fading light remind me of the beauty of His creation. An endless blue ocean, its thundering waves and diverse marine life, all testify to the immensity of God's creation.”

“I also love to close my eyes and breathe in nature’s noises, listening to a river run. Any time I’m near water, it rejuvenates my spirit. I feel alive and humbled. Birds are usually close by – blue jays, sparrows, and hawks. I feel them as auditory smiles and expressions of pure bliss.”

Witnessing the totality of God’s creation can invite us into a deeper appreciation for God and His handiwork. Her broken neck was a freak accident that forced her to learn things she never would’ve understood as an able-bodied person. Her message is one of perseverance and hope.

“My faith has been strengthened and purified by this whole ordeal,” she added. “My greatest joy is the deep gratitude I’ve experienced, even during some of my darkest days. Even though I sit in a metal wheelchair each day, remain hopeful. Good is amazing!”

Almighty and Majestic Father, through life’s twists and turn, up and downs, teach me to live out of a place of joy and gratitude, not entitlement. May I be content with what I have, no matter the season or challenge. To have You is to have enough. Amen