Friday, July 26, 2024

Through the Years

 “Honor God by your good deeds and you will understand Him even better.” ~ Colossians 1:10

While on my morning walk last week, I watched from a distance as a young man helped an elderly gentleman into his wheelchair at our local park. Whatever their relationship, I created a backstory in my mind picturing a bond between a father and son develop through the years.

I envisioned the younger man as a newborn baby. His proud daddy snuggled the boy in his arms as they walked that park trail twenty years earlier. The infant’s smiling eyes and dimpled cheeks revealed sheer delight in the effortless ride. Dad’s eyes seemed to rekindle his own best kid self.

I imagined the two of them 12 months later, the father slowly walking along beside his boy on that same path as the toddler began to take his first few steps. In my mind’s eye, I saw the little boy holding onto his father’s finger for balance and dreaming futuristic ideas for his new mobility.

Years later the boy’s stride and pace were increasing, becoming more in-sync with his father’s footsteps. But eventually, the little boy grew tired. His initial enthusiasm dimmed, and his steps slowed. Dad relaxed his pace to remain in step with his son’s, encouraging him as a father should.

They planned stops along the way and learning tasks to accomplish. Several times as they walked along, the son announced, “Daddy, I love you!” It reminded Dad that nothing they did that day was more important than the time they shared together.

Now my story turned 180 degrees. The little boy grew up, the father grew old. Adult realities replaced childhood images. God’s hand provided the catalyst for reciprocity; a chance to honor the father who raised him.

He gently transferred his Dad from the car into his wheelchair. Heading down the old park trail, their laughter and friendship said it all. Both had grown kinder, wiser, more authentic. Life was good; their strong, loving bond clearly evident.

Fatherhood isn’t about the last page, but every word in between. It signals emotions of love and protection, of cherishing the moments shared by one another.

Aging parents are a gift from Almighty God. Not every child has the privilege of growing old with one or both parents. Some watch disease or an accident snatch them away before experiencing the pleasure of an adult relationship with them.

It’s a blessing to support those who supported us over the years. To serve and honor our parents is to serve and honor Jesus. In walking with Him, I have a security that I wouldn’t have on my own, one that spans from this life into eternity.

Heavenly, thank You for the infinite ways You used my parent to shape my life. Now the roles are reversed. I have the privilege to help and serve, and remind my precious parent of Your tender, shepherding care. Give me patience, wisdom and an understanding heart. Amen