Thursday, June 13, 2013

My Dad, My Hero

“Holy Father, You are my fortress, that mighty rock where I am safe." ~ Psalm 94:22
The word “hero” usually conjures up images of super humans with magical powers, sweeping in and saving humanity from villains and natural disasters.  But when I hear that word, I see my Dad.
It’s a bit contradictory - heroes are subtle, quiet, courageous types; but their actions often change lives in profound ways.  Heroes put their best selves forward, using compassion, kindness, empathy, and non-violence to serve others.  My Dad has always been my hero!
As a child, we often found solace walking in the woods, where nature stole the stress of daily lives and wrapped its gentle affection around our souls.  Anxieties quickly faded into the distance replaced by chirping songbirds, hammering wood-peckers, and winds whispering through the wild flowers.  Amidst the sweet aroma of damp grass and pine needles, we got lost in each other’s company - just me and my Dad . . . and heaven on earth.
It was always an adventure!  I always felt safe; I knew Dad was there if I faced any real danger.
I peppered him with questions about everything: why birds flew instead of ran, why trees grew so tall and lived longer than us, why fish couldn’t talk, and why some animals died when others lived.  I was already thinking life’s deepest questions in a kid’s innocent ways.
He took all those questions with noble patience explaining that each animal had a role in the world and they just knew exactly what to do. 
Dad’s gone now, a life ironically cut short by a bad heart.  He was a loving husband to my mom for 38 years, and provided a good living for our family as a construction worker.  I miss him every day. 
Last week when I was searching through some of Dad’s things, I found a crisply folded note among some papers.  It was an old journal entry in my dad’s handwriting dated just weeks before I was born.  It read:
“I’m 18 years old, an unemployed, alcoholic who is failing out of college; a victim of child abuse with a criminal record of auto theft.  Next month, ‘teen father’ will be added to the list.  But, I swear I’ll make things right for my child.  I will be the Dad I never had.”
I don’t know how he did it . . . but he did!  Now, as a grown man, I see all that my father taught me.  I wouldn’t be the man (the friend, husband and father) I am today had it not been for him. This morning my son asked me what we could do together today.  I replied, “I know a forest that’s filled with adventure and seems to go on forever.”
Heavenly Father, bless our Dads.  Though they are brave and protective, they must also be frightened sometimes.  When their hearts break because they can't do it all; please let them know how much we love them.  Amen