Monday, June 10, 2013

My Flag, My Country

“You're the emblem of the land I love; the home of the free and the brave.” ~ George M. Cohen
You’ve seen me.  You’ve pledged your allegiance to me.  Maybe you’ve even stood at attention before me and saluted.  But do you really understand me?
I’m the product of a young widow whose patriot husband died in service to this country.  In 1776, a committee asked her to use her exquisite needlework skills to design a flag from George Washington’s crude sketch.  With minor modifications, Betsy Ross’ rendition quickly became the national standard.
To some I may be nothing more than decoration.    But my rippling folds speak subliminally; every color plays a role . . . every part has a voice.
My red stripes stand out the most.  They represent more than just the original thirteen colonies.  They’re the bloodshed, grit and promise of a brighter tomorrow.  White stripes stand for God and love; freedom and purity.
Blue signifies pride for this glorious land; for water hiding untold riches beneath cobalt depths.  Heavenly stars sparkle for every state, every amber wave of grain, every woman man and child – a forever changing constellation.
When the wind whips me around, I survey American and her sacred ground.  But when it’s still, I bow my head, praying for those whose blood was shed.  And for those whose memory was wrapped in my colors, we’re proud of you!  This grateful nation will never forget your ultimate sacrifice. 
Even in foreign lands, I serve as companionship to those far from home: a country that does not repel, but welcomes the “tired . . . and poor . . . and huddled masses yearning to breathe free.”  America remains a symbol of freedom all over the world.
Why do you fly me?  Because you can! 
Because you can disagree – about politics, or religion or whatever without worrying that someone will arrest you.  You are so blessed to live in this country.  Around here you can think about God, and talk about God and worship the God of your choosing.  Nobody’s gonna tell you that you can’t.   
You display me because I’m a nice flag, for a nice country.  Not a perfect one, but a proud one yearning to be better.
Through me, you see the scars of a nation that fought long and hard for the soil on which you stand.  Before you burn me or criticize me, take an honest look around.  Freedom isn’t free; it didn’t come without the sacrifice of mothers, fathers, sisters and brothers.
And when I’m so tattered that I can no longer serve as a symbol of freedom for these United Sates, retire me with the dignity you would a soldier.  I’m the oldest and most beloved veteran of a grateful nation. 
“Dear child, freedom’s just a prayer away, if you’re not too proud to stray.  From the hatred you embrace, then change your mind and face, turn 180° to the Son, and let wrath and rage be done.”  ~ Your Celestial Father