Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Dating Pains

“There is a time for crying and laughing, finding and losing." ~ Ecclesiastes 3: 4,6
Never in a million years would anyone have expected a boy like Trey Masters to take notice of a girl like Emma Jacobs.  But he did.  And soon, in storybook fashion, the football star and the flutist were dating.
The pair made an adorable couple with their matching dark hair, sapphire eyes, and warm smiles.  From their first kiss after the Homecoming dance to hearing those three little words they traded at Senior Prom, everything seemed perfect.
Emma cheered for #12 all season.  After each game, he’d slip his blue and gold letter sweater over her shoulders and kiss the tip of Emma’s nose.  "It looks better on you," he'd say and smile, even though it was ginormous on her. 
Emma loved Trey . . . although she wasn’t sure he ever knew how much.  He planned to play college football and spent most of his summer after graduation lifting weights and practicing.  Maybe Emma should have seen then that he was slipping away.
They spent the night before he left at the lake, wishing on stars and just holding each other.  Trey promised to call every day and swore that being 150 miles apart wouldn't change anything.  Emma was already missing him and crying by the time they pulled into her apartment complex.
When they came to a stop, Trey reached into the backseat and pulled out his letter sweater.  "Please keep this until I get back."  He placed it around her shoulders and kissed her gently.  "I love you," he said.  And then he was gone.
That first week he called every day; the second week, every other day.  By October, he stopped calling at all.
Nearly two months later, Emma sat in the emptiness of her apartment hugging Trey’s sweater close to her chest.  Despite rumors that he’d found someone else, she never lost hope; he loved her!  She simply couldn’t be that forgettable.
Her loneliness was interrupted by a sharp knock at the door.  She flung it open, bracing herself against the cold December night.  Perhaps it was the frigid air that took her breath away, or maybe the disappointment that the man outside wasn’t Trey, but her Dad.
He held her in silence for several minutes until she stopped crying.  “I can’t believe I just wasted four years of my life with him,” Emma said.
“It wasn’t a waste,” her Dad replied. “In life you’ll eventually realize that there’s a purpose for everyone you meet.  Some will test you. Some will use you.  Some will even teach you.  But most importantly, some will bring out the best in you.  And this last group of people, although hard to find, are always worth the wait.”
Dear God, teach me the life lessons You want me to learn along the way.  Help me, stretch me, mold me, guide me.  Don’t let my arrogance, my worries or my selfishness hinder this preparation.  I trust You!  Amen.