Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Preacher's Choice


“All of us have sinned and fallen short of God's glory.” - - Romans 3:23
Pastors come and Pastors go – but when they do, most churches go through a difficult adjustment period.  Change amplifies anxiety  . . . and fear . . . and disorder.  One of the toughest tasks a congregation faces is choosing a new minister.  
Jack knew this all too well.  As Chair of the Selection Committee officially charged with this responsibility, the the stress was eating at him; his patience was wearing thin.
The Committee had already rejected numerous applicants for various minor faults.  Some were too young, others too inflexible.  A few were gifted orators; others had broad pastoral counseling skills.  One had third world missionary experience to her credit.  None was a perfect match, but all were credible choices.   It was time Jack thought, for a bit of soul-searching by the Committee.
After their third meeting that week had adjourned, Jack penned an anonymous letter to himself, as Chair of the Selection Committee, introducing a new candidate for the position.   To make a point, Jack stood and read this letter out loud at their next meeting:
Ladies and Gentlemen:
I understand your pulpit is vacant and I should like to apply for the position.  I have many qualifications:  I'm well informed and, some would add, a talented writer.    People follow me – I’m a good leader and organizer.
The churches I’ve preached in have been much smaller than yours, but large crowds don’t bother me.  I've lived more than half century but have never preached too long in one spot.
Honestly; I’ve had to leave some places because my sermons caused disturbances, even riots. I’ve been jailed three or four times on account of this – but never for anything illegal.  
I've not always gotten along well with other religious leaders in some of the towns where I’ve preached; some would call me a bully.  Some have threatened me, and even attacked me physically.  I’m not great at keeping records either and sometimes forget who I’ve baptized.
Fact is, my health ain’t too good, but I’ll work very hard and if you can use me, I promise to do my very best for you.
His eyes rose from the paper as Jack stared purposefully at each of them before asking, "What do you think?  Should we call him for an interview?"
Their appalled expressions were irrefutable!  He waited for someone to speak.
“Jack, have you lost your mind?” questioned one.  “Are you suggesting that we consider a sickly, trouble-making, absent-minded, jailbird?” asked another.  A third inquired angrily “Who had the gall to think we’d consider someone like?  Who signed that outrageous letter?”
Jack had set the hook and was about to reel them in.  He eyed them intensely before responding. 
"It's signed: 'The Apostle Paul."
Our Father, no one is perfect and nobody has it all – not even Pastors.  All our lives are filled with quiet desperation.  This day Lord, more than any day, I need to feel You near, to face whatever is to be.  Amen.