Saturday, May 4, 2024

Together for a Reason

 “We are God’s handiwork, created to do good works." ~ Ephesians 2:10

Harold’s grandson grabbed a booth while he went to order some breakfast. Workers toiled through the numbness of the job, cranking out orders like an assembly line.

McDonald's had recently installed self-service kiosks. Harold questioned the idea of touching a filthy screen just to get in line to pay for what he just ordered.

Working the cash register, however, was an older lady, well beyond 70 years. Platinum hair and wire-framed glasses; she looked like everybody’s grandma. Greeting each customer with a friendly smile and a few kind words, her warmth brightened the entire restaurant. He sidestepped the kiosk.

When it was his turn, Harold returned the smile. “Your cheery attitude is a ray of sunshine on this otherwise gloomy day,” he added. “Mind if I order here at the counter instead?”

She laughed, patted his hand, and said, “No extra charge, Hon!”

They finished their breakfast and Harold waited for the cashier to take her morning break.  As she walked by their booth, he motioned for her to join them and she welcomed the invitation.

He learned from Loraine that this was a special day at the Golden Arches. Today marked her 44th year of working for the chain. Franchise owners were hosting a celebration in her honor complete with free coffee and cake. A kind gesture though she’s not retiring.

“Miss Loraine,” started serving friendship at McDonald's in 1979 after her late husband retired due to a disability. He died the following year.

She rises at 3 a.m. for her early weekend shifts. Customers say that she’s the only one who makes oatmeal correctly. “They’re my life,” she offered. “I’ve traveled with them, gone to ball games with them. They’re friends, not just customers. They were my life savers when I lost my husband.”

I'll bet you could teach these kids a thing or two,” Harold suggested.

“We learn from each other,” Loraine quickly countered. “I tend to think longer term and know what it means to commit through thick and thin. I “know the ropes” and am happy to pass along what I know about interpersonal skills like common courtesy and team play.”

“In turn, they help me with computers and my iPhone. Their perspectives are more diverse which helps open my eyes to the ever-changing world. They’re great at thinking out of the box too.”

“We’re together for a reason,” she added.

Harold left the restaurant richer for the experience. It’s funny, he thought, how we work hard for money to buy things. But the things that matter most can’t be bought. They’re given easily and joyfully received. Love, smiles, hugs, laughter, intimacy, happiness, joy, and connection are all free of charge; God-given talents we give each other.

Father God, You’ve called me to thrive and succeed in community, not isolation. May I see the true value of those You’ve placed in my life. Show me what it means to be a real friend who helps others succeed. Amen