Sunday, August 17, 2014

From the Shadows

“Respect one another warmly as Christians." ~ Romans 12:10
Some called us the ‘Invisible Kids’ – socially awkward and unathletic.  We were the ones no one wanted as partners for class projects.  
Like any kid, I wanted to be liked and to have lots of adoring friends.  But I also wanted to lead, not follow.  I tried desperately to get involved, but everywhere I looked, an obstacle blocked my way.  
I ran for freshman, sophomore, junior and senior class president, and all eight semesters of student council.  I lost every race.  Yep, there was no doubt about my social leprosy.
But while I might have been a pimply kid with little athletic prowess, I was tough as a timber wolf inside.  My strength came from strong parents who infused in me some critical life lessons.
First - success will be determined not by how you get along with those who are like you, but by how you relate with those who are not like you.  Second - happiness will be determined not by your experience with things that go your way, but rather by the way you handle yourself when things don’t.
Two other things helped me endure my standing as a social outcast.  One of those was my church youth group.  I never lacked for things to do or friends to do them with.
My other safety net was the support of teachers; people who saw me as a courageous kid who endured ridicule and kept a smile in the process.
I’m telling this story because even today, 35 years later, kids who are “different” continue to suffer the devastating effects of harassment.  Every year, nearly 25,000 young Americans will commit suicide, often as the result of despair brought about by “not fitting in.”  Suicide is the third-leading cause of death among teenagers in this country.
Despite how bad things may seem, life has an amazing ability to correct itself.  Today I enjoy the spoils of a very successful business, an amazingly supportive family, and the laughter of my own church Youth Group.  I attended our class’ 20-year reunion not as the class president, but as the mayor of this city.
Listen up teens!  Statistically, popularity in high school is a poor indicator of whether or not you will be successful as an adult.  In fact, there are instances where being less unpopular in school can give you an advantage.  The kids who aren't trying to fit in with the crowd are less likely to succumb to peer pressure that can have potentially negative effects, such as drinking, drugs and sex.  Also, kids who aren't constantly struggling to keep up with the popular kids can focus their attention on achieving their own ambitions.
Lord, please open my eyes.  Please let me see those around me that are in need of my compassion.  Compel me to listen to them, to hear their needs.  Give me the heart to be interested in their troubles and provide for me the means to help them.  Amen