Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Thorn Blessings

“Nobody picks grapes or figs from thorn bushes; only good trees produce fruit!” ~ Matthew 7:16-17
Kendra felt lower than whale poop; her life totally sucked right now.
During this Thanksgiving week she was supposed to have delivered a son.  But a traffic accident ended their dream.  She’d only been pregnant 12 weeks, but those were the happiest days of her life.  They were making plans, their parents were ecstatic. 
"Thanksgiving?  Thankful for what?" she wondered.  For a drunk driver who survived the crash unharmed?  For an airbag that saved her life but took the life of her unborn child?  For the emptiness that now consumed her?
She entered the Florist shop looking for something that might bring a little cheer to their holiday table.  The shopkeeper greeted her briefly as she appeared from the workroom in back carrying an arrangement of long-stemmed thorns.  The beautiful roses had been removed!
Kendra waited for the customer’s response.  Was this a joke?  Who’d want rose stems with no flowers!  She waited for laughter, but gravity prevailed.
"Uh?" sputtered Kendra, "that lady just left with box of waste.  Her box had no flowers!"
"Yep, that’s the Special,” replied Betty – the store owner.  I call it the Thorn Blessing Bouquet."
"You can't tell me someone is willing to pay for that!" exclaimed Kendra.
"That woman came into the shop 3 years ago, with little to be thankful for.  She’d lost her father to cancer, the family business was failing, and her son was into drugs.  I’d just lost my own husband," continued Betty," and for the first time in my life, I faced the holidays alone – no children or family nearby, and too much debt to allow any travel.  I was terrified!"
"What’d you do?" asked Kendra.
"I learned to be thankful for thorns," answered the clerk softly.  "I've always enjoyed the 'flowers' of life, but it took ‘thorns’ to show me the beauty of God's comfort.  He reassures us when we're troubled, and from His example we learn to comfort others.  Now I praise Him for my roses, and thank Him for my thorns.”
Kendra thought about Betty’s comment.  Truthfully, she didn’t want comfort.  She’d lost a baby and was angry with God.  Tears warmed her cheeks.  For the first time since the accident, she relaxed her grip on bitterness.  "I’ll take twelve long-stemmed thorns, please," she choked.
"I hoped you would," Betty said kindly.  
"Thank you, how much do I owe you?" Kendra asked.
"Nothing . . . nothing but a promise to allow God to heal your heart.  The first year's arrangement is always on me."  She smiled before attaching the following card:
“My God, I’ve thanked You a thousand times for my roses, but never once for my thorns.  Teach me the glory of the cross I bear; the value of my thorns.  Show me that through my tears, the colors of Your rainbow look much more brilliant.  Amen”